Slumming for Ideas

So, part of what is going on with the book thing is that my agent is trying to sell me as a two-book deal. (And it’s probably going to go that way, if everything lines up the way it should). And this is a Good Thing. After all, I had already started writing the sequel a few months ago, and once it becomes official, I’ll start focusing most of my writing time on finishing it. (And I would have had more of it done already, but being that I wasn’t sure if Book 1 would sell, I wanted to work on a different project as well. You know. Just in case I sucked.)

However, things won’t be stopping here, as during the last conversation with my agent she asked what else I was working on. (The theory here is that she’d like me to be writing two series at the same time, if I can.) And that kind of stopped me. Because yes, I do have a secondary project being written, but it’s more of a standalone than anything else. And I told her about that and about the YA SteamPunk thing I’ve started fleshing out, which I think she liked the sound of better. Problem is that some of the concept has already been done (remember when I blogged about no original ideas? Well I’m a bit caught up in it too. Apparently floating mechanical cities are a bit more common that I thought.)

But she suggested I pick up a title or two of other SP/YA type books and just make sure they’re not too similar. There’s nothing that says I can’t have floating cities (just like there’s nothing that says I can’t write about vampires) – but they have to be as original as I can make them. And I think the premise is original enough, but I need to solidify the details.

Which I’m doing this weekend, actually. Although I really am a panster when it comes to details, I’m discovering that even writing out a short synopsis is very helpful for me as far as seeing the “big picture” goes.

Think these two will be involved some how tho…

This entry was posted in craft, writing. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Slumming for Ideas

1. Simon says:

And here I thought I was cheating on my novel when I took a break to write some flash fiction. Apparently being unfaithful to the WIP is expected, though. Huh.

I can roll with that.

2. Jeffe says:

how scary should I find it that you and I, committed pantsters, are both contemplating brainstorming and plotting the next work on the same weekend?

3. La-Tessa says:

Sounds like good news lady.  Your agent seems to really be behind you and pushing for your success.  I know working on two seperate things at once can be a bit tricky, but I think you can do it.

And keep the mechanical floating city, I bet yours will be more kick ass than ANYTHING on the shelves now.

4. Suzette Saxton says:

Sounds very promising. Didn't Shannon Hale have three books that were loosely connected?

Yeah, I think so – but this would actually be two unrelated stories. I've got some ideas. 🙂   And congrats on your agent switch again. You must be so excited!

Eh. Yeah – I know what you mean. I had a hard time with that a while back when I was trying to write two at once. (Which I did manage to do). It's odd how much loyalty one feels to a piece isn't it??

7. Carrie Harris says:

Frankly, I think the world needs more floating cities…

8. bluey says:

Synopsis is good. You never know what ideas will be triggered when you try and put the story together. Or at least that's what I've found. 🙂

9. writtenwyrdd says:

Hey, I left a post and it disappeared.  This keeps happening on blogger blogs lately.

Anyhow, what I said was that you might check out Miyazaki's anime Castle In The Sky as it's got great steampunk visuals but with a Japanese take on them.

Actually, they're still there – the blog just seems to be rather slow in loading th comments. I'm not sure why. 🙁