Sayonara

So this is one of those things that’s lousy about being an author – having to deal with disappointment. But rather than drag it out, I’m just going to mention that due to publisher disinterest, there will be no more Abby Sinclair books. ย (That’s the simple explanation, anyway. Not going to get into the more complicated one.)

Now, the Melanie short story is still coming out in August 2013 – so things aren’t completely ended just yet, but otherwise?

That’s all she wrote.

The thing is, I still have stories I want to tell in this world, so once I figure things out a bit, I’m hoping to look at self pubbing some shorter Abby-centric stories to help fill in some gaps. (Or perhaps via additional anthologies.) Melanie does have a story to tell, as does Talivar, so I may look look at self pubbing separate books for them as well, but right now I’m going to let things settle. I don’t like jumping into things when I’m emotionally agitated, and at the moment? I am. ย Not something I really wanted to head into the holidays with, to be honest.

In the meantime, I am going to switch focus onto a different project, and I guess we’ll see what happens.

To my readers – thanks so much for all your support – it was really fun while it lasted. ๐Ÿ™‚

This entry was posted in blog and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Sayonara

1. Kelly Meding says:

Major hugs to you and Abby.

2. Kinsey says:

1. That sucks.

2. Submit her to an epub. I bet Samhain or Carina would be interested. I want to read more Abby. Your world is not like all the other paranormals out there. Don’t give up. (Or at least, don’t give up yet – wait till the new year and then think about it.)

3. Julie says:

Well that sucks. So sorry to hear that Allison… Your world was amazing as were your characters. No fun that there won’t be ‘big’ books anymore but still excited to hear you have more to tell. Can’t wait to see what you come out with next. *hugs*

4. Patricia says:

I just ordered the latest book and was hoping for more.
    I instantly fell in love with the characters.
    Hopefully something can be worked out. Hang in There.

5. So sorry to hear that! *sends hugs and vodka*

We’ll be here to buy any Abby-centric stories in whatever format you choose to share them. Thanks for sharing her world with us.
    Danielle La paglia recently posted..We Have A Winner!

6. Amy says:

Would reader comments to the publisher help? It’s a travesty to discontinue your stories- they are so well written and paced. When I think of all the hacks that get published…

• allison says:

Ha ha – I honestly have no idea. Though it’s sorta tempting to send an army of internet minions off to do my bidding and wage war on..wait, what? Erm.

I don’t think it would hurt, but I suspect there would have be a supremely large number of readers involved.

And thank you for your kind words. ๐Ÿ™‚

7. That sucks ass ๐Ÿ™

I’m so sorry you had to get this news (and get it right before the holidays). I will happily read this world however you share it with us. Always.

*hugs*

8. Beth M. says:

That stinks! I’ve loved all the Abby books! I’m sorry for you and for us the readers but will look out for your self-published works in the future.

9. nikki says:

That’s awful! I would seriously look into self pubbing… I’ve seen many authors do great on Amazon. You can’t let abby’s world die if there are more stories inside you! When you get yourself sorted out after the holidays, think about it some more. You still have many fans that would support you! ๐Ÿ™‚

*hugs* Even though Pocket isn’t publishing more, your characters and world will never be “over,” my dear friend! I will see to it myself!! :-p MWAH!
    Danielle recently posted..Making It Up With a Publishing Round Up

11. I’m so sorry to hear this, Allison. Big hugs for you. I love Abby, Talivar and Phin. Just because Pocket is no longer Abby’s home, I’m sure you can find a new place to tell her story and readers will be happy to find it.
    Chelsea / Vampire Book Club recently posted..December Group Read: Fantasy Lover by Sherrilyn Kenyon

12. Kevin Hearne says:

Very sorry to hear this, Allison. I hope the new project will work out well.

13. Spaz says:

*cries*
    I am so sorry to hear this.
    *cries some more*
    I look forward to more stories from you, in any shape or form!!!
    Spaz recently posted..In Memory of Dakota ~ A Photo Tribute: 2002-2012

14. Tonia Laird says:

Much love to you! I loved your books, and can’t wait to see what else you have in store for us. ๐Ÿ™‚

15. NOOoooOO! I am so wanting all those shorts. I’m not ready to give up these characters. ๐Ÿ™

If you self-pub, I’m so willing to help promote… and I know several of the bloggers here would as well.
    Melissa (Books and Things) recently posted..King of the Dead (Jeremiah Hunt, #2) by Joseph Nassise

16. Dren says:

WHAAAAAAAAT? That really sucks Allison. I love your series! I will be waiting for more in whatever format you decide. But I agree. Check with other pubs. I’m sure others will jump on this! *sending hugs and wine*
    Dren recently posted..2012 Moonlight & Magnolias Wrap-Up

17. Meghan says:

Noooooo!!! Phin can’t go away….. What can we do to help? What if all your fans spam your publisher by email? Or Tweet some discontent? I’m in PR and if your publisher is critiquing sales then blame it on crappy publicity support — It’s not the booksโ€™ content responsible. Seriously, the way I found out about your first book was by buying an Ilona Andrews book on Amazon.com and then scrolling through the “Customers who bought this item also bought” horizontal scroll bar.

I know publishing houses have tight budgets for publicity but your books are so original, touching and creative… They should have tried to reach more people. I just know if more people knew about your Abby books they would all buy.

Have any reviews run in any women’s and teen magazines? Have you tried stalking their lifestyle editors and wooing them with FEDEXed boxes of Magnolia Bakery (NYC) cupcakes and Krispy Kremes? Do you want us to sign a petition? What if you crowd source the funding for another Abby book and promote it that way? (Try using Kickstart.com for a good crowd funding tool.) I bet many of your readers would chip in. I would give you $25 easily.

Crowd funding the next book through a loyal following of an existing series would be a story angle that appealed to media once you have some evidence it’s viable, which I know it is if you are able to get the word out.— Maybe pitch it as a new publishing approach for authors through social media.

Many things that are loved no longer have to go away… Fans can do anything. Die-hard Twinkie fans could source Twinkies to keep them in production. The establishment doesn’t get to tell us what is worth reading anymore. Censors. Just like politicians don’t get to tell us that all women should leave work at 5 p.m. so they can get home in time to make dinner for their husbands.

MidWest Review of Books pays special attention to indie-published books. Reviews are free for indies….just in case you were not awareโ€ฆ.

• allison says:

Heh. I’m pretty sure lack of marketing/publicity had a lot to do with it, but there are a lot of factors at play here. I may eventually blog about it in its entirety in a bit. At the moment it would probably sound rather bitter and I don’t want to do that.

18. :hugs: If you do decide to self-publish, let me know so I can buy more Abby adventures.

Bah on silly, short-sighted publishing people. Hmpfh.
    B.E. Sanderson recently posted..What’s Up?

19. Jennifer says:

Well, crap!!! I love Abby and her crew!! And I still have the stuffed Phin I forgot to bring to AAD for you!!

I’m totally down for a massive email barage on the pubs to rethink their mistake. Short of that… I totally believe that another pub would love to have you, Abby, and all of us who will DEFINITELY be buying the rest of your awesome stories.

*big hugs*
    Jennifer recently posted..Words & Music Monday with Jeri Smith-Ready

20. Leah Weller says:

Really makes me wonder about how smart some of thee publishing companies really are and where in the world they’re getting their information that something has run it’s course. I am here to say, as a die hard historical reader, that Abby (well actually YOU!) pulled my ass right out of that genre and into reading something different. I still love my history but I am also reading other things too.

• allison says:

It’s all about sales and bottom line, honestly. It’s nothing to do with me personally or the books. But as noted above, if people don’t know about the books, then they don’t buy them. *shrugs*

21. Missy says:

That really sucks. WOULD contacting the publisher help? I mean, if enough of us did?

I fell in love with the characters in this series right away. Whatever form more books from this world take I’ll be there to buy them. That goes for whatever comes next from you too.

Also, I wanted to thank you. You pointed me in the direction of other urban fantasy authors and I’ve really been enjoying reading them. So Thank you!

22. Shades says:

But… ! I only just bought the first two books D: (and haven’t found time to read them yet, the third I’ll have to get with my next store order because it takes a little longer to ship in).

What a depressing bit of news for you to get just before christmas. If you are thinking of self publishing I guess you could try kickstarter? Though I don’t know the size of your audience/how many follow you online and the only books I’ve followed on it (ks) have been webcomic books (though interestingly a lot of those webcomic books don’t sell well or are difficult to publish normally, but they seem to successfully get the funds needed when they do a kickstarter for their books).

However I’m sure the suggestions others have made would probably suit better since I don’t really know anything about self-publishing. Either way I really hope that you do choose to self publish, it would be a shame to not be able to make use of the ideas and world that you already have made.

• allison says:

Well, yeah – I’m looking at a few different options, honestly – but I’m just not a great multi-tasker when it comes to larger projects, so one thing at a time for me. Kickstarter may be the way to go, though…

23. NatashaMay says:

That just sucks! But there’s a reason for everything in life and no doubt even greater things await you in the future. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you. And I want to thank you for your trading cards. I just got them today and they are freaking awesome! ๐Ÿ™‚ Love the hilarious quotes at the back of them. :))

24. Renee says:

That truly sucketh! I have thoroughly enjoyed all of your books and getting to know Abby & Co. and the whole world they inhabit. I look forward to reading more about Melanie, too, when that comes out. Lord knows you did what you could to promote your books, and likely all on your own dime, too. Seems so unfair. Lots of love and big hugs of support from my corner. Please let us know how we can help.

25. Pingback: On Reviews | Byrne After Reading