To Sweet Beginnings and Bitter Endings

I guess this is the part where I breathe a sigh of relief. Or maybe I get depressed because it’s over?

Yes, that is a shot of the pages before I mailed them out. Yes, I am questioning why douche bags is listed as two words, when it should be one. These are the things that make my world turn, obviously.

It’s a bit odd knowing that for all intents and purposes, my book contract is officially over.

I mailed those first pass pages off this morning and as of now, I’m done. (Yes, there’s all the promo stuff to do – the swag to hand out, the guest blogs and the cons, but the contract itself is filled.) And yes, it is bittersweet.

Reading through those pages one last time and correcting the small things, I can’t help but wonder if I could have done things differently. Or if I should have. Could I have made the story longer? Maybe.

The practical side of me decided I needed to stick within the realms of the books I’d been given, though maybe that showed a certain lack of confidence. Or maybe it was smart. I honestly don’t know, and I probably never will.

Will fans be happy at the way things turn out for Abby and gang? I hope so, though I know there will be disappointment from some corners. Can’t help that, really. And things are wrapped up enough…but not entirely. There’s fudge room, should I get a chance to revisit. There’s plenty of opportunity for growth for many of the other characters, and I wouldn’t mind getting a chance to explore their stories either. (Or coming back to Abby at some point…you never know.)

There is something freeing about no longer having a deadline hanging over my head. But it’s also sorta scary. For the last 3 years, all I’ve done is written Abby. (Would I have like to have written other things? Sure. But I’m just not that fast.) I’ve been trying to write some new stuff, but I suspect I’m going to scrap most of what I’ve done and start over again. It’s a personal mental block, but I’m just not happy with what I’ve got. Maybe not having deadlines will be a good thing.

Maybe it will be a disaster.

Guess I’ll find out.

This entry was posted in blog and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to To Sweet Beginnings and Bitter Endings

1. I am sad to see the series end. It’s one of my favorites. :-)

• allison says:

Well, I never say never. In reality, it’s just this story arc that’s ended. If the publisher wants more Abby stories, I’ll be happy to write them. ;-)

(BUY MY BOOKS, Y’ALL!) ;-)

2. Catherine says:

I love these books and would be ecstatic if you wrote more, here’s hoping!!! I need a fingers crossed smiley…

3. I’m excited for the final book and I have to say I prefer it when a series doesn’t drag on forever. I’d rather miss the characters than have them strung out in a dying series. One author I love is Kelley Armstrong because she writes in the same world, but changes up the narrators so you still see the characters you love, but get to explore new sides of the world. Whether you do something in Abby’s world or something entirely new, I’ll be anxiously awaiting whatever you bring us.

• allison says:

And that’s definitely a possibility. :) Believe me when I say Abby’s in for some life changing moments in this book – but I suspect she could use a little break after everything settles down. ;-)

4. ibeeeg says:

I look forward to reading this last book of the series.

You know, Allison, more good things will be coming your way. Different characters to write about and different opportunities. I have no doubt.
    I wish you much success with whichever door opens next.
    In the meantime, your posts and group comments – even though I’m out of the loop right now (DG) – I will continue to look forward to. :)
    -Deanna-

5. B says:

I’ll be sad to see the series end, but I’m pretty sure I won’t be disappointed in how you end it. I can’t wait to see what you’ve done, and to see what you’ll come up with in the future.

And yeah, douchebags ought to be one word – even if my spell checker is giving me the ol’ squiggly red line. Screw the squiggly lines. (Of course, I also think nevermind should be one word. And I merged four words into one with sunuvabitch in my WIP, so what do I know?)

6. Missy says:

I just wanted to let you know how much I’m loving this series. Yours is probably the first urban fantasy books I’ve ever read so if could steer me to other good works of the same sort I’d like that. Found you via amio and associated DA2 fanfiction and promptly bought and read your books and I love them. I can’t believe I have to wait until the end of October. boo! You keep writing and I’ll keep reading.

• allison says:

Hey thanks! :) There are so many fantastic UF books and authors out there, so it really just depends on what you like! (I’m going to send you over to The League of Reluctant Adults site – we’re almost all UF writers there, with a fair amount of humor and snark.)

Also, check out Seanan McGuire’s Toby Daye series – also fab.

• Missy says:

Thanks for the nudge towards other authors. I’ve already picked up some. I probably would have picked up more but so many books so little money. I’m always up for a good story with good characters be it via game, movie, or book.