Covering the Kindle 3

I broke down last month and bought the new Kindle 3 in its lovely graphite form.  (And as you can see,  I’ve jailbroken it so that the screensaver is actually my book cover. I’m a rebel, yo.)

And truthfully, this is my second Kindle 3. I ended up returning the first one a few weeks after I bought it because the letters and words started to rub off on the rubber buttons. When I opened the first one, I noticed that some of the letters seemed a bit faded. Fast forward a few weeks to the fact that the Menu/Back/Home buttons were nearly completely gone…eh. not so good. I did a little poking about and discovered I wasn’t the only one – so maybe a bad batch went out. In either case, I called Amazon and they replaced it for free with a new device (not a refurb) since it was within the initial 30 day purchase period. The new one seems to be holding up much better and I did note that the ink on the buttons appears to be made of sterner stuff.

I did go ahead and buy both a skin and a cover for it just to be on the safe side, though I’m not sure I’m going to keep the skin or not.

The cover is from Oberon Design and is hand crafted leather. (Blue and Celtic? Sign me up!) It doesn’t add too much bulk and I can still fit the whole thing into my little purse without too much trouble. Although the metal clasp is…um magnetic. My iPod was sticking to it pretty hard the other day which is probably not good for long term.

I also went ahead and bought a skin from Skin It. I tend to skin every device I own with whatever I feel like doing at that moment, so my current skin for the Kindle is Chococat.

<– This would be the back, obviously.

<– And this would be the front. Not sure I like the contrast there. Might make things a little harder to read than I thought, but I’ll test it out.

In either case, I really do adore the device. I’ve probably spent more on e-books in the last few months then I’ve spent in a bookstore in the last year.  In fact, I hardly ever have time to make it into a bookstore these days, so being able to snag what I’m interested in immediately is a big plus for me, particularly if I see a good write up or review on a blog. *poof* Now I have it.

(And on another note, if the book is a “Keeper,”  I’ll often buy the e-book right off the bat so that I can read it, but I’ll follow up and buy it in paper later. Bonus for everyone, I suppose.)

This entry was posted in kindle. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Covering the Kindle 3

Damn it, I just got sucked into playing with designs over on Skin It because of you…

2. Martin says:

Glad to hear you like the Kindle. I got a Nook when they were first released, but sold it once my wife bought her iPad. I like the idea of being able to have iBooks, B&N and Amazon ebooks all on 1 device. But the Kindle is definitely a slick device. Once my blog hits 100 followers, I might give one away as a thank-you prize.

That said, I'm with you on the whole "sample the ebook before buying the print edition" mentality. We travel a lot, and I can't fathom carrying several hardcovers with me when just 1 iPad will do.

I don't have an iPad – but I do have an iPhone (and an iPod). I prefer to keep my devices separate, actually. Can be kind of a pain, but when I'm driving, for example – I can still listen to music via the iPod and talk on the phone (or check email on the phone).

Reading-wise, I don't like backlights that much, so the Kindle works great for me in that respect. Plus, to be honest, I buy nearly all my book through them – even though I have the B&N and iBook apps, I've never used them.

4. Aleta says:

Greg bought me a Kindle and we returned it because the iPad came out at the same time.  I have to admit that I love the iPad, but if you don't have the iPad, Kindle is the next best option!  It's great being able to get a bunch of books and not have to worry about space for them.  Enjoy!!

5. Sara McClung says:

This could not be more timely! I'm traveling for Christmas this year and I am SO sick of lugging around the bag specifically for books that I usually bring! (Otherwise I'm a hardcopy book addict.)

So the lack of backlight doesn't bother you? What about if you want to read at night? (And I apologize if that's a stupid question, I know NOTHING about ebook stuff.)

Also, are there limitations insofar as where you can download books from?

I purposely bought it because it doesn't have a backlight. If I want to read at night, I just turn on the light…just like you would if you were reading a regular book. 😉  I do have a booklight I carry with me sometimes, and there are K3 cases that have lights built into them just for that purpose.

Kindles are specifically for Amazon – tho you can import pdfs, word docs and mobi files from other places, like Smashwords, etc. Best Buy and Target sell them so you can pop in and check them out if you want to try it. Or, I can bring mine when we hook up for lunch if you want to see it in action. 🙂

I actually don't want an iPad at all. As I stated below, I actually like keeping my devices separate. Maybe old fashioned, but that's okay. 😉

8. Renae Mercado says:

I'm sorry you've had so much trouble…hopefully this one will work out.  But on the bright side…your cover looks amazing on it!  I'm still trying to decide if I need one.

9. Medeia Sharif says:

Amazon replaced my Kindle recently.  The screen went haywire, all diagonally lined.

Thank you for the jailbreak link.  I'll try it out.