Cover Girl

Yes, I adore Elvgren pin ups. They’re saucy and sorta racy, and yet they still seem to have rather fun sort of innocence about them that you don’t see in a lot of today’s images. Classy smut, maybe. I still dig it, either way.

Don’t think I’ll be seeing anything like this on my cover, though. Danielle and I have been going over possibilities.  It’s about what I thought, though – we can make suggestions and I can say what I’d *like* to see on the front, but the truth of the matter is that it’s really up to the sales & marketing department of Pocket Books.

Thus far I’ve sent her character descriptions and links to renders and fan art, mostly to give a sense of how I envision the characters, and we’ve looked at other Urban Fantasy covers out there.

There’s a rather large prevalence of  UF heroines strutting about in leather pants with tramp stamps, so there’s probably a good chance I’ll end up with something similar. (Although, we’re doing our damnedest to see if we can’t get Phin put on there *somewhere*).

Personally, I’m leaning to more of a painted cover, as opposed to photo. (Like the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. *LOVE* those covers). I feel like there’s more flexibility to be had with painted art – it’s easier to get some of the more fantasy elements of the book into place – like small unicorns – for example. It might be a bit more old school, but since I mostly read nothing but high fantasy type stuff growing up, it’s what I’m most familiar with. The “slayer” type covers didn’t really seem to come into vogue until the UF scene exploded – and between LKH and Buffy, that sort of image seems to be the standard. (Well, that and the paint-roller abs of scruffy, half naked men in trench coats carrying swords/guns/throwing stars/insert-your-phallic-symbol-of-choice-here…. But since this isn’t technically a romance book anymore, I’m thinking that won’t be an issue.)

(Though I had to point out that Abby shouldn’t be holding a weapon of any sort. She’s like an anti-slayer.There’s no guns or machetes to be had anywhere. Pencils or chopsticks in the hair, yes. Lara Croft, she isn’t.)

Overall, the process is making me a bit giddy. Even if I don’t really get a final say, at least they’re asking, and that’s pretty cool too. 🙂

This entry was posted in book stuff. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Cover Girl

1. Kay Theodoratus says:

Agree on the Mercy Thompson covers.  The cover art drew me into picking up the first Briggs book.  No wonder so many people say the cover art is one of your best advertising pieces.  —  People see the cover before they read the blurb.

Good luck in getting a good cover.

Oh yes, the Mercy Thompson covers are amazing! You'll get something good, I'm sure. These art departments and marketing folks know what people want to see. Just try to avoid fairy princess kind of things. Those look too frou-frou. We need kick-ass with a touch of snark.

I can't wait to see what they come up with! Oh and I really need to get you to do an interview one day…like when I can remember what to ask you. Meh.

*snerk*

How about a fairy princess with an AK-47?

4. Simon says:

As a male bookstore browser, who has never yet cracked the spine of an urban fantasy novel, I'll just mention I'm a huge fan of UF heroines strutting around in leather pants, with tramp stamps. Just sayin'.

That'd work…although I think the AK gets way too much attention. Why don't you give her a sawed off shotgun?

Heh. You're going to crack the cover of mine tho, right?

RIGHT?   😉

Yay, Elvgren Pin-Ups, because a girl can do *everything* in thigh-highs and garters!

8. LaTessa says:

I must agree, I love the painted/drawn art covers and the Mercy Thompson book covers are very nice.  I also like the HP book covers (I love looking for the book clues in them–but I'm a nerd that way).

Have fun with the process and I hope you get something you can live with, if not something you are totally in love it 🙂 .

Come to think of it though,Mercy has a tramp stamp and is usually in some sort of tight fitting, midriff bearing outfit….

Yeah, but girlfriend gets to carry a wrench. 😀

Please. You mean you don't vacuum in your panties? and then look over your shoulder in surprise when the back of your dress gets caught on a doorknob?

11. LynnM says:

Patty Briggs used to live nearby and still comes to town for booksignings when she has a new title out. The first Mercy Thompson novel is set in my hometown.

She certainly lucked out on the cover art and let's hope you will, too.

Kennewick, eh?  Awesome. 🙂