Frog Princess

I hate getting my picture taken. Always have. Probably always will.

Which sort of defeats the purpose of getting photos taken for my official “Author” picture. (Gotta have one for the back of the book, anyway. And probably for the official website, whenever I manage to get that up.)

Jeffe was nice enough to bring her camera this weekend and help get me all gussied up. The pic on the left there was the best of the bunch, but I’m not entirely sure I’ll use it. And part way through the photo-taking, mr myn came home and decided to take some too. But he agrees that my posed pictures usually suck – and you can tell which ones they are, because I tend to tilt my head to my left, just so. Connor does it too, goofy boy, so maybe it’s genetic, but chances are if you see a photo with me like that, it probably means I really don’t want to be there. With that in mind, he normally tries to catch me off-guard, and I have to admit it works okay as long as I don’t know he’s there.

The main problem  is that I detest posing, although I think Jeffe pegged it better when she stated that it wasn’t that I disliked getting photographed as much as I just don’t like people *looking* at me. And she’s probably right.

I can give you the sob story of what an ugly, scrawny-ass kid I was growing up – *from being called “toad” or “frog” pretty much every day from 3rd grade to 6th (when my mom finally pulled me out of the school) – or the fact that I had a serious case of fang-face for a while. (Small mouth, too many teeth. Ended up getting 18 pulled over the course of my childhood, 8 of which were permanents). End result is I also disliked smiling for pictures that showed my teeth, and it’s still a hard habit to break.

Still, I suppose I’ll have to get over it. I’ve debated getting the pics done professionally, but that will probably cost a small fortune as there are rights involved, especially if it does end up becoming the back-of-the-book image. On the other hand, I may just opt for something way more casual – I’ve got some new arms socks coming in, and there’s a silly part of me that thinks wearing those and a Domo-kun shirt might be a bit more true to who I am.

*Note to bullies: Yes, even as children, much of what you say will be remembered. There’s a fair number of you going to be killed off in my books in terribly gruesome ways. Just sayin’.

This entry was posted in pictures. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Frog Princess

1. Sara McClung says:

That's a fantastic picture! Seriously. If I hadn't thought so, I just wouldn't have commented. I hear ya with the teeth thing. I had some MAJOR overcrowding going on for a while. I won't even get into the surgeries/braces stuck up into the roof of my mouth. But it SUCKED.

2. V.M.Pettingill says:

I think it looks great!

Depending on the original file, I may be able to make it look more professional in Photoshop if you wish, but it <span>does</span> look great as is.

You can email the file at vlaunierAThotmailDOTcom if you want me to give it a try. I should be able to remove the background at the very least. 🙂

Heh. I actually PS'd out the worst of the under-eye bags. Late nights do not a pretty portrait make. But I may take you up on it anyway, just to see what you can do.

Yeah, I skipped talking about the unending years of braces, headgear and retainers. Blargh.

Aww, don't you worry none, youz purty…but I gotta admit striped arm socks would be awesome.

6. Scopique says:

You look kinda…pissed. Or maybe challenging the reader: "Buy my book, you pansey!"

But…you still look good 😉

7. Obviously Anonymous says:

You did a post over at Reading Between the Lines a while ago, there's a picture of you on there. When I hit the page the first thing I thought was "Wow, she's hot."

I don't know if "hot" is what you want on your book, but I was just throwing it out there. The shot here is fine but I'm not feeling a lot of emotion from it. It just feels like an attractive woman patiently waiting to have her shot taken.

Heh. I'll take that. 😉

So I'm either pissed or just there. Or I look great.

Yeah, think I need to come up with something more spontaneous….

9. sarahjayne says:

<p><span>I'm with you. And the Aborigines. Pictures steal you soul. I hate getting pictures of myself taken. If I ever am so lucky as to need an author picture taken. I’m going to pay someone else to be me.</span>
    </p>

10. Jeffe says:

*I* think you look great, but then, I'm biased. That had been my thought with the neutral background — to crop it a bit more and use effects to blur the shade into a muted blue.

To me, that Mona Lisa smile says you're thinking of snarky unicorns munching on Hello Kitty underwear…

11. Sandy Williams says:

Girl, I'm right there with you on the hating taking photos thing. I am NOT photogenic, and in school, it always seemed like those 'trained' photographs posed me in the worst possible way. I mean, I didn't want to tilt my chin this way and look that way. Stupid people!

Ugh. I hate bullies with they're name calling. I was always called Tucan 'cause I have a big nose. Eventually, I just shrugged it off and embraced it by eating Fruit Loops. 🙂

To this day, though, I won't allow people to take pictures of me from the side (you can't tell how big it is from the front).

12. jessica says:

I actually like this pic i think its perfect

13. Julie Dao says:

I think that is a great author picture for sure! It doesn't look posed or unnatural. 🙂 And amen to the killing off of mean people in books. I have a mental hit list (my freshman year roommate included) that will become characters in many future stories. Mu hu hu ha ha!

I hate taking pictures as well. I especially hate it when I'm caught off guard because I'm usually talking when it happens, so I look like I never shut up.

This is a good picture, but I like your idea of the arm socks. Staying "true" to your personality helps the reader connect, I think. If you were to take a picture with a crown, in a ballgown, while sitting on a red velvet throne, I don't imagine my first thought would be: "Urban Fantasy writer, definitely!" 😉

15. Nessa says:

I think that it's a grat picture, with that kind-of-mysterious smile  🙂  And I love your hair. I've always wanted long, brown wavy hair. Instead I have this sort of short gold-blonde, and straight… 😉
    I hate having pictures taken on me, but they often turn out better if I'm not aware of the person taking the photo 😛