No, It’s NOT Catcher in the Rye, Dad.

So, it’s finally sinking in that the book thing is going to happen. I was talking to my Dad on the phone about it the other night and he kind of got this weird tone to his voice and asked if I was going to have one of those “half-naked barbarian” covers.

Which, I suppose, is possible. Although you don’t see too many clinch covers these days, and probably very unlikely for an Urban Fantasy type of romance – but, as I told him, it’s probably not going to be up to me. I honestly have no idea how much input I’ll get into it, but that’s all right.  His question kind of had me thinking, though. I’m not ashamed of anything I’ve written….but I’m not sure I really want to know that he’s read it.  I mean, I told him it was fairly smutty in places and he was like, “Oh, like Catcher in the Rye? I seem to remember that was pretty racy.”

And I kind of had to sigh, because…no. Even aside from the fact that I’m not actually J.D. Salinger, no. If Holden Caulfield had sex with a daemon prostitute, maybe. As I’ve stated before, I don’t write erotica, but it (in its currently un-revised-by-editor-state) has its fair share of frank language and graphic sex scenes.

Clearly there’s a bit of a generational gap here, not to mention a lack of familiarity with the romance genre on my father’s side. It’s kind of cute. That being said, I’m not sure *I* want to be the one to bridge it. After all, it’s probably hard to reconcile that one’s little girl, whom you so fondly remember in diapers and pigtails, is suddenly using words like cock and cunt with literary abandon.

Well, okay, not abandon. But they’re in there.

This entry was posted in covers, romance, smut. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to No, It’s NOT Catcher in the Rye, Dad.

1. Scopique says:

I lol'd. If Catcher in the Rye is his idea of "racy", he should get out more. Or at least watch Cinemax now and then.

2. Dovelily says:

LOL! Chicken!

Definitely a generational gap. I've had a similar conversation with my mom and it went sort of the same way.

Do you think he'll read it when it comes out?

4. Anonymous says:

I don't know your age, but I can recall that when I was in my 20s I was a lot more uncomfortable having my mother read stuff I'd written.  Of course I was uncomfortable having anyone read stuff I'd written at that time.  Point being, I still have a little of that, even though I just trample right over the thing like the jack-booted thuggista I am, lol.

And our parents likely do always carry that image of the tiny diapered babe we once were.  Must make for a shocking juxtaposition when they read your graphic sex scenes.

5. writtenwyrdd says:

Oh, sorry, I didn't log in. That last one was me.  *waves*

6. Simon says:

Oh, Lord. I'm just thinking what my parents will think if I publish the novel I just started. I wonder if I can ask them not to read it? What if it's successful? Then they'd REALLY want to read it, and I'd have to be all, "Um, maybe you shouldn't." Then they'd be all, "Why?" And I'd be all, "It'll offend you." Then they'd be all, "It can't be THAT bad." And then I'd be all, "Yes. It really is that bad. Don't read it. Please?"

Or something like that. Did I mention my dad's a pastor?

Ya know, there are just some things daddies don't want to know…

8. Jeffe says:

Hmm… my mom totally read mine…

Moms are different. If she were still alive, I'd let her read it.

My dad freaks out if I'm in the room with him and a naked person comes on tv.  (Tho he's mellowed out some in the last few years).

Whee. I'm 35, yo. 😀

11. Adri says:

~dies~  I did not need to picture Holden Caulfield that way.  Ever.  I wonder if he'd call the daemon "phony"…

If it makes you feel any better, my mother–in an attempt to be relevant–listened to me spout on about an idea I was working on.  The idea involved the faerie realm, post-apocalyptic humanity, and a guy who died only to be resurrected in a female body as an immortal faerie warrior and guardian of the boundary between worlds.  Her first response?

"Oh, so it's just like that AVATAR movie, right?"

~facepalms~  Parents.  Oi.

12. Songlian says:

I do sympathize with your dad about the "half-naked barbarian" cover. I've recently read an amazing book which dealt with some local mythology.  Very very good. The first edition came out properly: stylish, skillfully made artwork. It was republished in 2009. What did it have on the cover? A naked Conan. It's funny because the new cover has nothing, nothing to do with the subject, nor does it bare any resemblance with the hero of the book. It was changed just to catch the eyes.

That reminded me of Tolkien's letter in which he complained about the publisher's choice for The Hobbit cover:

"I wrot to [his American publishers] expressing (with moderation) my dislike of the cover for The Hobbit. It was a short hasty note by hand, without a copy, but it was to this effect: I think the cover ugly; but I recognize that a main object of a paperback cover is to attract purchasers, and I suppose that you are better judges of what is attractive in USA than I am. I therefore will not enter into a debate about taste — (meaning though I did not say so: horrible colours and foul lettering) — but I must ask this about the vignette: what has it got to do with the story? Where is this place? Why a lion and emus? And what is the thing in the foreground with pink bulbs? I do not understand how anybody who had read the tale (I hope you are one) could think such a picture would please the author."

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for the lack of emus and lions on your cover.  🙂