Page Turners

I’ve been trying to catch up on my reading while I await my own edits.

I’d say reading for fun is one of the things I miss most about being a writer – partially because of time constraints, but also because I have a hard time shutting down the “editor” side of my brain.

It seems to take a lot more for me these days to lose myself in the voice of a book (although I still have a list of “must buy” authors that I can fall into without issue. Could be the mental mountain disappears simply because I choose NOT to look at their writing with such a critical eye – because I trust them to deliver.)

It used to be I’d finish every book I started – good or bad. Now, if a story doesn’t grip me quick enough, I let it slide away.  I can’t tell if it’s a sense of overall jadedness or simply that I’m too exhausted most of the time to be interested.

I’m less forgiving, overall and that makes me a bit sad.

(Not that it stops me from buying books. The TBR list on my Kindle grows every week…but I despair of ever getting to most of them.)

As a writer, I don’t think it’s particularly healthy to not be reading, but it shouldn’t be a chore either. But I’m going to try to slip in at least a book a week from here on out.

That being said, I’m open to suggestions – anyone got a current fave they’re loving right now? (I’m looking for more Fantasy/Sci-Fi type of things than anything else…) 🙂

This entry was posted in blog and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Page Turners

1. Jeffe Kennedy says:

I really loved N.K. Jemisin's Hundred Thousand Kingdoms – I think you would, too. Great voice. Really interesting story.

Gah. It's been on my Kindle for at least 6 months TBR. >_< I'll fire it up this weekend. 🙂

3. Kay Theodoratus says:

I've recently enjoyed Kalayna Price's Alex Craft Grave Witch series. Her take on Faerie is as interesting as yours.

4. lexcade says:

I'm re-reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. OMG OMG OMG.

Also, one of my new SF favorites is Paolo Baccigalupi's The Wind-up Girl. It's brutal and kinda hard to get at first, but once it all clicked, I was like, Dude. This is freaking amazing.

5. lexcade says:

And that picture is freaking creepy, btw. 😉

6. Crystal says:

My top 3 books lately have been…
    Touch of Power by Maria V Snyder
    Shadow Kin by M.J. Scott
    The Sentinel Mage by Emily Gee

• Phaedra says:

Until the 28th hits, I’m really over the falls about Contact-Susan Grant, more of a sci-fi romance. 747 gets hijacked by aliens.

Thank you for chapter one! Hoot! Awesome!

7. Renee says:

Sorry. I'm reading a really great business book at the moment, though, called More Than a Pink Cadillac: Mary Kay Inc.'s 9 Leadership Keys to Success, so if you're ever inclined to go that route, I can highly recommend that one.

8. Karen A. Wyle says:

Solitaire by Kelley Eskridge (beautifully written SF).

9. December says:

I feel the EXACT same way.  So funny, I blogged the same thing (sort of.)  It makes me sad that I can't slip into that authors world as easily anymore.

10. Rhianna says:

I absolutely LOVED Shona Husk’s Dark Vow.

At 65K words it’s shockingly stout in story but not obnoxiously long. I think I read it in a night and I never do that. It’s fantasy but a bit of a genre bender. If you have time to read my review there I kind of explain it. I’ve never read anything like it and kind of hope not to again just so it can remain as special as I found it.

You might like The Fallen Queen by Jane Kindred too. It’s another tough one to sell that blends fantasy with something else that works so well. It wasn’t a favorite of me personally, but the world building was phenominal.

11. Lia says:

Check out the Raine Benares series by Lisa Shearin and The Jesse James Dawson series by K.A Stuwart! ^.^