Bacon Bowls and Updates

Yes, that is a bowl made out of bacon. I can think of few things more perfect than a bowl made of bacon, particularly this morning.

First, I want to give a massive shout out to Simon Larter for getting a short story published in this Friday’s upcoming edition of Short Story America. Congrats, my friend.

Second – had an awesome lunch yesterday with Sara McClung, a local writer that I’ve been meaning to get together and hang with for ages. She is awesome and I just want to thank her for the company and awesome conversation over dumplings at PF Chang’s. (And can’t wait to do the David Garrett Meet & Greet with her in Feb!)

Third, I’m unfortunately going to have to announce that Danielle Poiesz is no longer my awesomesauce editor. (She’s still full of awesomesauce, actually…just not in the world of editing.) I won’t say I’m not upset by it, because I am. I’m only bringing it up here because I can already see the tweets flying and I’m a big fan of disclosure.

Danielle called me yesterday to tell me that she was moving on to a different position in the industry. (To Penguin, in fact. She’s going to be working on a project with my old agent, Colleen Lindsay, who also moved to Penguin earlier this year.  Somewhere there’s a story here. Maybe I should be charging Penguin a finder’s fee?)

At any rate, from a professional perspective, I get it. Jobs are jobs – if you’re unhappy with your job and you can find a new one, then that’s what you need to do. Sometimes it isn’t even unhappiness so much as needing a change or a chance to find something that fulfills you. And I’ve been there. I’ve done it. I’ve never been a huge fan of personal change for myself – being a creature of habit – but when it comes down to it, I’m always the advocate for pursuing the dream, whatever that dream is. Even aside from that, an editor that no longer wants to edit doesn’t make for good books, and eventually that hurts everyone involved.

On a personal note, it really, really sucks. It is a bit frightening for me – my second book is due very shortly and now I will have to go through the process with someone new. It’s hard, especially given that Danielle and I had fallen into a good rhythm and an easy way of communicating. She understood my writing style and what my vision was and did everything she could to help mold it into something successful. And I can’t help but wonder who the new editor will be…and will they like/understand what I’ve done? What if we don’t mesh? What if they hate this current draft? What if we have clashing personalities?

What if, what if, what if.

Obviously, I won’t know until the new editor is assigned to me (sometime in the next two weeks or so.) The good thing is that the first book is nearly out. Any potential editors will be able to read it and get the polished version of my writing style (and hopefully fall in love with it.) And as much as it will suck to have to relearn someone else’s editing style, it’s probably better that it happens now with a newly written draft than one that’s already gone through a set of revisions that might not mesh.

So, I guess that’s about it.  Thanks for everything, Danielle. Godspeed and good luck, my friend. 🙂

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.

Explore. Dream. Discover.

–Mark Twain

This entry was posted in editing, industry, updates. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Bacon Bowls and Updates

You just made me cry at my desk 🙁  It's definitely has not been an easy decision but thank you for being so wonderful and understanding, dear friend.

It breaks my heart to know I won't be your editor anymore, but I am going to find you someone amazing and she is going to love you and your books. I swear it. I wish I could freelance edit your books myself (I'm still going to be freelancing, so at least I'll get to edit a little bit…I'm going to miss it like WHOA), but I have a feeling Pocket wouldn't go for that haha

2. Lola Sharp says:

First, YUMMM. Bacon Bowls. Add some blue cheese crumbles to that salad, and it's a foodgasm.
    Moving on…

Sara is a sweetheart. Loves me some Sara. *hugs*

I'm sorry that you're going through so many changes with regard to your publishing career. A good relationship with an editor is priceless, and change is scary. I love that you're focusing on the positives, though. And, maybe you'll love your new editor and learn from her/him. I hope Danielle finds you someone special who loves your work and you.

Love,
    Lola

3. Kay Theodoratus says:

Bacon bowls look much more mouth-watering than bacon sprinkles.

4. Sara McClung says:

you and your bacon 😉

Yay for Simon! That's so awesome!

And I had so much fun with you yesterday! Say the word for the next date. (Last night you had midnight mancandy and I had midnight Chang's chicken!)

I'm so sorry about the change in editor! And you were JUST telling me how awesome Danielle is! But I can see from her comment that she'll find you someone just as amazing to work with.

5. Sara McClung says:

loves me some Lola too <3

6. Colleen Lindsay says:

You totally hate me now, don't you??? Is my unicorn rigged to explode at some uncertain time in the next two weeks???

Heh. I made me cry too. How's that for shit? 😉

I call Eggspectations in December. 🙂  They have all day breakfast there and massive slabs of cake.

Heh. Generally I'm not that subtle. 😉

But no hard feelings, chica, I suspect that things may have unfolded in that particular direction sooner or later anyway…and I'm very glad she is with you.

Besides, now I've got an awesome in with Penguin for my next series. It's got cowboys, you know. Gay, timetravelling, zombie-slaying cowboys who ride mechano-unicorns and wear kilts.

And who sometimes hang out at the Tick-Tock Diner and get cream on their thumbs.

I fully expect you to put that particular masterpiece on the head editor's desk when I send it to you.

Just sayin.'

Oh! And you're totally taking me to Max Brenner next time I come to NYC. (I would like the baked mac-and-cheese-bacon awesome thing they have there.)

🙂

Yes. Yes they do. Quite possibly the most perfect thing ever designed.

Yes, Sara is awesome. 😀 So glad to have finally met her!

And thanks for the kind words – each day as it comes, right?

13. Sandy Williams says:

Woah. Totally yes on charging a finders fee, but that does stink. Thanks for posting about all your experiences. It's a reminder that this industry can change in a heartbeat.

Yeah – I figure it's sort of an odd situation, actually. Might as well talk about it. (Though  I do know that editor turnover can be high sometimes.)

15. katiebabs says:

Your bacon bowl is full of win!

*pats back on loss of editor*

16. Sara McClung says:

Breakfast AND cake? I'M IN!

17. Sara McClung says:

for lunch, I meant to add, not breakfast in case it sounded that way. Or, unless you want to do breakfast, then that's cool too. #ramblerambleramble  🙂

18. Simon says:

Bacon bowl…awesome.

Y'know what else is awesome? You. Thanks for the shout-out, darlin'!

And hugs over the whole editor change thingy. I'm sure it'll work out perfectly well for you. 🙂

Yes – I meant breakfast for lunch. 😉

*hugs*

Thanks, chica. 🙂

Huh. I thought this was the part where you were supposed to say "Dinna fash."

*taps foot*

22. Colleen Lindsay says:

Max Brenner and Jacques Torres!