Tarot for Ideas

My ShadowScapes tarot cards came in today – and they are just beyond gorgeous.  My only complaint is that the cards are on the smaller side so it’s hard to see all those tiny little details. But make no mistake, the artist really put her heart and soul into this deck and every little bit of it shows.

I’m taking a new Tarot workshop in a few weeks, although I may have to be content with just being a lurker this time around. I did run out to Michael’s today to get a new sketchpad though, since it was suggested for the class. I also picked up some new color pencils – although I ended up buying them from Amazon, since Michael’s overpriced them by over $100. I don’t mind paying a little extra to pick something up right there, but not *that* much.

Either way, I can’t wait to work with the deck. I’ve found Tarot cards to be an intriguing way to sometimes sort through plot issues or character backgrounds, or to find insights behind the hidden mechanisms of a scene and this set is exquisite.

I also picked up Brian Froud’s latest deck as well – the Heart of Faerie Oracle. Even though it’s not technically tarot, the cards are  lovely, in Froud’s usual style. I’ve always enjoyed the fact that there’s something somewhat sinister about his vision of Faerie, like he’s stripped away all the extras. What’s left is beautiful…and yet probably very dangerous. Still, I’ve had the deck for about a week, and on the occasion I’ve drawn a card or two, its message has been succinct and very pointed.

They are easy to interpret up front, but the longer I studied them, the more meaning I found.

Which is, I suppose, the whole point.

This entry was posted in blog, tarot. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Tarot for Ideas

1. Sara McClung says:

Dude, this is super cool. I know NOTHING about tarot cards, but I find them SO intriguing. And to use them to help get through plot issues and stuff? GENIUS. How long have you been into this? And what type of workshop are you taking?

2. VR Barkowski says:

So cool to know I'm not the only one who uses the tarot this way. In my first mss, my MC was a reader. I did spreads as if I were her and the cards determined her character arc. It was an interesting exercise.

Shadowscapes is a gorgeous deck. I will definitely be adding it to my collection.

I've been taking quite a few from Tarot by Arwen –> http://tarotbyarwen.com/blog/?page_id=372

I suggest the Hero's Journey workshop – it really gave me major insight into the book that I'm getting published when I was writing it – as far as who the characters were and what drove them.

I've been doing Tarot card stuff off and on since high school, but I really only started getting back into it a few years ago. I have a hard time reading for myself, but it's good for the books. 🙂

Yes – it's totally awesome. And keep in mind, there's going to be a special edition of the deck released as well, (which I didn't know when I ordered my set), but it may be a while before it's out.

5. Nicole says:

Your new deck looks gorgeous!  I use the Crystal Tarot — stunning as well.  I agree with you: the cards can really open creative doors when contemplating characters and their traits.  The class you're taking sounds fascinating.  Enjoy!

6. LaTessa says:

Those are very pretty

Yeah – I've taken several classes, actually. The new one is about a month long, and it's really more of a back-to-basics class, but I feel like I need a major refresher.

Awesome! I don't know really anything about Tarot but it's always intrigued me! I'm trying to get my friend to read mine, but he keeps forgetting!

And those decks are GORGEOUS!