The Edits Shall Continue Until Morale Improves…

Thanks to some company this weekend, I managed to wiggle out another chunk of editing. This particular scene has been taking me a bit longer than I thought it would, but I was able to finally get over the hump on Saturday. One of those things where my brain understands the concept just fine, but getting the words down and making it work correctly is a bit of a bear.

In the end I had to just stop trying to make it perfect and get the bones down.

For me, this means a lot of stilted dialog and crappy dialog tags:

“Blah blah blah blah,” I muttered snarkily, doing something that’s probably going to get cut next pass.

“Blah blah, blah blah blah blah,” he pointed out, making smexy eyes at me.

“But blah blah! How else am I going to be able to Comshock with the Groosalugg?”  My mouth pursed as I made an astute observation while tapping my fingers on the table.

And so on and so forth. I tend to use far too many “mutters” and “murmurs”. It’s a bad habit I ended up with after playing in a few pbps. It’s okay for online games since no one really cares there, but in a book it’s bound to be pretty irritating, though some of it may just be part of my personal style. But I know I’m going to go back to clean it up, so for getting the quick and dirty concept down it’s good enough. I’ve noticed I don’t always tend to use too many good descriptions with this sort of writing either, but again, that will come later.

I’m continuing to feel pretty good about where things are headed. I’ve got one more chapter/scene of stuff that’s nearly totally new, and then it will be back to tweaking – until the end, at least. There’s some fairly interesting changes happening there too, but I don’t want to rush ahead, since so much of this other stuff is changing as I go along.

And on a totally awesome note? I got my first advance check in the mail on Saturday. Makes it all worth while. 😉

This entry was posted in editing, updates. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to The Edits Shall Continue Until Morale Improves…

1. Betty Blue says:

Comshock with the Groosalugg!! I <3 you right now. (And now I'm playing with your hamster wheel. Make of that what you will.)

2. KL Grady says:

I love your placeholder dialogue. Reads a lot like my school-deadline-is-kicking-my-ass-HALP drafts. It sucks, though, when you forget to edit that portion and send it as part of your submission to your mentor and crit group. /oops I think you should write some Spartacus-style dialogue for editing placeholders next time. Especially if it includes the phrase "Jupiter's cock."

Yay for advances! Those rock. I bet it rocks harder when it's for a novel.

3. Julie K says:

<span>Comshock with the Groosalugg!  Buffy FTW!  </span>

Best of luck with the edits. I'm sure it will be awesome 🙂

I use "blah blah blah" and "yada yada yada" when I'm stuck. Oh, another one is "Um". I find my characters do say "um" a lot. Which…isn't impossible. I had an English teacher who said "um" like she was going for a world record. "Romeo and Juliet, umumumumum were tragic because um, umumum…" My sister had her for English years before I did, so I figure it's her fault the poor woman couldn't think straight.

Show me the money!!! Woo! Check you out 🙂

5. Kay says:

Congrats … You've been officially monetized.

heh I told ya it'd feel good when the check arrived! 😉

Keep plugging away, chica! I'm sure you're doing a fab job!

As for specific words you use more often than others,that's totally normal! Every author has a couple phrases and single words they use again and again. So, don't even worry about right now. I'll point it out next pass if it's a big deal, I promise  😛

Hakuna Matata!

tee-hee…

Heh. Play away. I just wish I knew why the color changed back to the default. Used to be pink. Dammit.

W00t! 😀

Strange how the words start to flow when the check arrives…

I am *totally* going to throw "Jupiter's cock" in there now. It sounds like it should be the name of a club. LOL.