Last Minute Lover

Valentine’s Day is one of those holidays I’ve never quite understood. I mean, I get that it’s supposed to be about showing appreciation for the one you love, but I sort of fail to see how  what essentially amounts to a random date can have so much impact on people’s relationships – that strange sort of demand for material things to prove one’s affections- jewelry, flower, chocolates. But really, the concept of love ought to be a bit more important than a heart shaped-box of buttercreams given under duress.

Yesterday was not a good day in the Pang household. I was grumpy. Mr Myn was grumpy. Mostly because we’d both had terribly long weeks –  me snowed in with the kids, and him riding around with the National Guard for days at time. Both of us were just completely exhausted. I think we were hoping for a break, but unfortunately there just wasn’t much chance for that between the kids and house cleaning and all the rest of it. So that made for a rather snappish sort of Saturday. Eventually he did take the kids out for some bowling late in the afternoon, which gave me a few hours of quiet to get some writing done. By the time he got back, everyone was in a happier mood, and that led to a nice homemade dinner and an evening of watching the Olympics.

Of course, a few hours after the kids went to bed, mr myn decided he needed to go to the store. You know, to get chocolate milk and a “few other things.” I looked at him and said “You didn’t get a card, did you?” And he shook his head and laughed and disappeared into the snow. And really, what did it matter? After all, I’d barely managed to sneak out to the store on Thursday to get my own card, so it’s not like I could point fingers. And truthfully, we don’t usually bother to do too much on the standard holidays anymore – we’re too busy, too tired, and too jaded, I think.

Which is kind of sad in some ways, when I think on it. On the other hand, he came back a little while later, card and flowers in hand. Although, you’ll notice he chose to skip the bouquet of roses. Not because there weren’t any at the store, but because he thought I’d appreciate the mixed flowers more. And he’s right. He also skipped the generic chocolates…but did surprise me with a very large bag of Swedish Fish. (Which I’m still happily stuffing my face with.)

So there you go, I suppose. True Love isn’t about whether or not every kiss begins with Kay or whatever. It’s about seeing and accepting the good and the bad and the very, very grumpy side of someone. And not fleeing into the night screaming, afterwards.

It’s also about Swedish Fish. (The red ones, of course.)

This entry was posted in tru luv. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Last Minute Lover

1. pasmith says:

As a guy, I kind of hate Valentine's Day. I just feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. I want the lady to be happy, so of course I do the flowers and a nice restaurant or something along those lines. But at the same time I hate how the florists screw everyone since they know they've got you. So the roses that were $30-$35 last week are $80 this week. And inevitably they last 2-3 days because the florists have stocked up so far in advance.

This year I finally said to hell with it and rather than long-stemmed red roses I went for a shorter-stemmed bouquet of multi-colored roses. And guess what? They're a hit! So score one for the good guys, I guess. They smell great and she seems to really like them (and, sorry to sound like a total skinflint, but they were much closer to normal flower prices…times are tough these days). We'll see how they hold up.

As always, great post.

2. Nessa says:

The picture of the Swedish fish made me giggle. I've never seen anything like that before 😛

The only thing that I do for Valentine's Day is to basically tell the people that I care about that I love them and wish them a happy Valentine. That works just as well. Maybe someone gets a box of chocolate or someting.

Ha. that's right! You *are* Swedish. LOL.

I looked it up and yes, they are actually a winegum candy from Sweden, but they call them something different there–> <span>Pastellfiskar</span>

Freaky. But awesomely tasty.

Yeah – commercialism at its finest, I guess. And honestly, I'd rather mr myn *NOT* spend a fortune on flowers that are gonna die. It just doesn't meant that much to me – on the other hand, random flowers on any other day seem a little more special, simply because there's no reason for them. (If that makes any sense…)

awww I love it! And I 100% agree. The holiday is way overrated. This year I just wished people a Happy Sunday haha

P.S. We have the same napkin holder haha I, however, do not have such a gorgeous bouquet of flowers! So pretty 🙂

6. bluey says:

Huh. I've never even heard of swedish fish. Are they good? And I agree with you 100% on the weirdness of Valentine's Day. That said, I had a good one…despite both kids being sick as dogs. (Any day that you have to wash the couch is NOT a good day.) DH gave me the best Valentine's gift ever. A deep-fat fryer. Awesome. (I am a sucker for fresh french fries. Make them for me and I will follow you anywhere.)

I *love* Swedish Fish. They're sorta like gummy bears, but different. Which probably doesn't make much sense. I can send you some, if you like?

And poor thing, you – with all the kids sick. 🙁  We went through that a few weeks ago.  But a fry-daddy kicks ass. You can deep fry anything from oreos to twinkies to fries.  NOM!

Hee. I have the matching trivet and paper towel holder too. *dork*

9. Nessa says:

You know what, now that I've been thinking about it for a couple of days, and looked around some, I see them everywhere 😛
    I just had to buy some, and they are very tasty, I agree.

It doesn't matter how many times I read this post and the comments, to just see the word "Pastellfiskar" among all english makes me giggle. I  don't know, at first it was so.. unexpected 🙂  but now, I don't know. It just stands out 😛

I probably should go to sleep before I stop making any sense, it's 3 am here. 😛