On Pins And Needles

I had my first Acupuncture session today. Since the back surgery, the nerve pain is much improved, but I still have some pretty awful trigger point muscle issues. So, I figured I’d give the needles a shot.

After about 30 minutes of discussing my health problems, the practitioner looked at my tongue. It’s purple and that’s a good sign, apparently. My “root” is still good. (I’m assuming this is a chi sort of thing).

Far East mysticism aside, picture me, if you will, with about 11 needles up my spine and in my shoulder. For the most part it didn’t hurt, though some of the worst spots in the rotator cuff did kinda suck when she tapped them in. What surprised me was when she hooked up a TENS system to the needles and shot some nice electrical stim through them, for about 15 minutes. After which she rubbed it down with some kind of balm (sans needles) and then ran an ultrasound over my shoulder on top of that.

Now, we had also discussed her treating the symptoms of my Interstitial Cystitis and the VVS, so when we were done, she flipped me over to my back and put 5 more needles in my stomach and 2 in my legs, close to my ankles. No stim for this, but another 15 minutes under the heat lamp.

I’m a bit sore after it all, but I’m going to try going twice a week for a few weeks and see where I’m at after that. If it gives me a little bit of relief I’ll be pretty happy.

This entry was posted in acupuncture, Interstitial Cystitis, Vestibulitis. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to On Pins And Needles

1. writtenwyrdd says:

Ssounds like you have a good practitioner who uses both allopathic and the traditional chinese medicine.  Best of both worlds.  I did accupuncture for years.  I hope it helps you!

2. Anonymous says:

That sounds awesome 🙂   I had accupuncture sessions for a few months after my back injury and it helped with the nerve pain.

3. C.J. says:

Good luck with the needles!  I've often wondered if it worked and I'll be looking forward to hearing what you report.

Wishing you the best in your on-going recovery.  I was in PT for ten months twice a week for a bunch of crushed muscles in my lumbar region decades ago and I know back pain is no fun.

The good news is you can still write on your lap top while laid out, eh? 😉

4. Dovelily says:

Sounds odd, but I'm curious to know if it works for you.

So far it seems to have loosened things up a bit, anyway. Think I slept a little better last night. I have my second round tomorrow so we'll see what that does. I get the feeling it's going to take several sessions before I start seeing real results.

6. Kay Theodoratus says:

I admire your bravery.  I get massage and chiropratic for my back …  but needles???  I know they aren't supposed to hurt.