Back to Earth…

So yesterday was a bit crazy.When Colleen announced her representation of me on Twitter, my blog/twitter hits exploded for the next few hours. (And I got to see it all unfold live via my Woopra application – tons of little pings from all over the country – what people were reading on the blog, where they came from, how long they hung out – all in real-time.) Lots of emails. Lots of DMs. Lots of well-wishes and congratulations and questions on how I managed it.  (And isn’t that the trick question?? Although I did find it amusing that I had quite a few hits on my query and query letter tags. There’s no big secret here, folks. I wrote a book, I wrote a query, I followed submission guidelines, I got rejected, I sent it out again, etc. Rinse and repeat.)

Today, we’re back down to normal levels as far as visitors go. Which is fine – it could be I’m just not that cool a blogger. Though I do have to say I feel a bit more under the microscope, which isn’t something I’m overly used to. Not complaining, mind. Just observing.

But the interesting thing is that I seem to be hovering in a sort of limbo. @pauljessup mentioned that I needed to change my blog profile – now that I have an agent, I’m not really a writer wanna-be anymore. I thought it was a good point, so I did update it. Though I do think it’s a fine line. You’re either a writer or you’re not. If you write…well, I guess you’re a writer, right? For me, the distinction is getting paid for you work. People write for fun all the time and I would consider them writers. Actually getting it published makes you an author. (And no, I’m not getting into the argument of self-pubbing vs standard pubbing – this is just my own personal boundary).

But in the end, nothing has changed. I’ve moved up to the next level in on the road to getting pubbed, but I’m not there yet. I’m taking an online version of  Bob Mayer’s Warrior Writer workshop over at FF&P, though I’m mostly lurking at the moment. But it is amazing to me to see that so many writers, aspiring and otherwise still have the same sorts of fears and hopes.  Fear of success. Fear of failure. Maybe they amount to the same thing. Maybe it’s what keeps a writer writing? Hard to say. I’d be lying if I didn’t say I feel a bit intimidated at the moment. Sure, I got the magical agent…but what happens if the book doesn’t sell? What happens if it does, but the next one sucks donkey ass? What if this whole process just shows the world what an utter hack I am?

I try not to think about that too much, honestly, but the thoughts do creep up a bit. Best advice is to just keep writing and take the hurdles as they come, I suppose.  (And follow submission guidelines!)

This entry was posted in agents, craft, writing. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Back to Earth…

1. Mercedes says:

It's true that writing is more of a journey than a destination, and it's always better to enjoy the ride. It's very cool to see somebody from the blog/twittersphere meet with success.  🙂

2. Cecile says:

As long as you enjoy the ride while it last, that is what matters. As long as you have smiled, frowned, laughed, loved, cried and felt every other emotion, then I would say that you had one hell'va ride!!!! Enjoy!
    Great post!

3. Anonymous says:

Allison, darlin', I'm hearing variations of the same words several of my friends who have debut this past two years. I think you're always gonna worry a bit. I think it's healthy. It keeps you on your toes so as to write the best.

Intimidation is always something you feel when you have a goal, work towards it and then it pans out. There's the elation and then that heartfelt, Hoooly Freakin' shit, what have I gotten myself into? lol! Been there and done that. Had good and bad dreams about it, too. Enough to fuel several psych books.

The thing is, you learned the craft and worked hard. As one who has read your blog, I know you've agonized over parts of this process. But you didn't stop. You didn't let your doubts stop you. You've polished (and will have to yet again) and queried, were stabbed by the rejections. The difference is, you didn't give up. That's important. It will always be NO, if you never query or get back up and dust yourself off and think, okay, how can I do it better?

I'm proud of you. Bask in the whole agent thing. It's a validation and when you sell, we'll get a special chain with your initials, and attach you to earth so you don't get lost in the stratosphere, lol!

As far as your blog goes. I enjoy reading your thoughts, or I wouldn't come back.

Hang in there.

Hugs!

4. ~Sia McKye~ says:

I guess knowing who hugs you and writes long comments would be helpful, lolol! I was used to your old format where my ID came up automatically.  As I mentioned below, hang in there!  I'm rooting for you. 😀

*hugs* back!

I'm floored by your words, you know. I've always said that this sort of thing – the writing/pubbing thing – it really does have a lot to do with one's support network. The writing comes from the writer, but without people to rely on, you can only go so far, and I'm utterly grateful for everyone out there.

And yeah – the new commenting thing is so-so. Works great if you sign in with it.  LOL. Ah well.

Thanks! It has been a crazy ride, but I'm enjoying it and looking forward to the next step. 🙂

Here's hoping it continues.  (success, that is).   🙂

8. slushpilehero says:

Deep breath and on to the next rung. (Thanks for the cookie!) 😎

9. katiebabs says:

Congrats on your agent representation!

Thanks! And thanks for the follow on Twitter! 🙂   Love your tweets!